Rotisserie Central
June 26, 2019, 09:18:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our little forum has been overrun with spammers lately. To register, please write to Forum (at) AuspitBBQ.com, letting us know what you would like your ID to be.   For more info about Auspit see www.AuspitBBQ.com.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What NOT to cook on an Auspit: Rotisserie Wedding Cake  (Read 11759 times)
JonnyRotisserie
Chief Kangaroo, Auspit North America
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2012, 05:08:28 PM »

Hey rotisserie fans,

Yesterday I tried something that you may not want to try at home. I did this as part of a competition on another BBQ forum, but thought I would share it with you here, too, as a cautionary tale. 

I felt I needed to pull out all the stops and prepare a recipe that I had long been considering: rotisserie wedding cake. I have always been a proponent of cooking everything via rotisserie, so this would be a good way to put my cooking mettle to the test.

As this was a first attempt, I did not start completely from scratch, but instead focused on form and getting a nice smoky finish on the wedding cake.

I figured the cake might need some reinforcement, so I gave it a foil garter belt of sorts. Toothpicks were added to help better attach the happy couple to the cake.

Here they are all iced up and ready for the big moment:

I thought I would go with a nice indirect heat using a mix of charcoal and almond wood. Well, it turned out that despite keeping a modest fire, the cake cooked a bit faster than anticipated, which can be seen in this video: http://youtu.be/--biih-h8eM

Things didn't go well. Quickly.

I may need to modify the recipe a bit as the happy couple only made it a couple revolutions. I was able to salvage it into something that was assuredly a mighty tasty dessert with quite a variety of colors and textures.

Admittedly there are better things to cook on a rotisserie than wedding cakes, but I am still cautiously optimistic that with some recipe tweaks I may have a winner here.

Thanks for looking!

--Jonny Rotisserie

Jump to: