Rotisserie Central
November 19, 2019, 11:45:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our little forum has been overrun with spammers lately. To register, please write to Forum (at) AuspitBBQ.com, letting us know what you would like your ID to be.   For more info about Auspit see www.AuspitBBQ.com.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My 1st brisket  (Read 5357 times)
JonnyRotisserie
Chief Kangaroo, Auspit North America
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2010, 02:37:51 PM »

To celebrate the arrival of summer, I tried rotisserie cooking my first brisket.   I felt that my first brisket should start simple, so I went with a Santa Maria style: salt, pepper and garlic powder over red oak on a fire pit with no other meat preparation. It was about 8 pounds and is/was one tough piece of meat! I tried skewering from the thin side and couldn’t get it in straight.  I ended up folding over the bottom and impaling with the spit (like I do with ribs). Once I got to the midway point where it had a thicker profile I could skewer it normally. 

Based on some coaching from our friends at Rib-o-Lator, I prepared it as follows: 

I slowly took the internal temp up to 180+ (he suggested 170, but I overshot somewhere between refilling and/or emptying my rum & Cokes).  It took about 5 hours.  I then took it off and wrapped it in foil and paper towels and foil and then real towels and put it in a cooler for a few hours where the internal temp continued to rise, then dropped to about 160 by the time I served it.

The results are in, and I have to say they are mixed for the brisket.  Overall, it came out with a nice smoky flavor but the textures of the meat were very different from one end to the other.  I am wondering if it has something to do with the composition of the meat I used. 

Basically the end of the cut that was full of cartilage, collagen and fat (the "point"?) came out super tender and juicy.  The other thin side of the cut (the "flat"?) seemed to have very little of these fatty elements.  This latter portion ended up tasting overcooked (tough and dry) albeit nicely smoky.  The flavor was still great.  Some of my tasters actually preferred this part because it was leaner.   

I am curious if my overall results would have been better and more consistent with better meat selection, favoring the collagen/fatty stuff throughout. Do they have cuts like that?  Either way, I am now tempted to experiment with various marinades and meat tenderizers to see what comes of them. Any other suggestions?

I should mention that after a couple hours during the above cooking process, I had the epiphany that I had a great cooking fire and a chicken that needed cooking, so I threw that on, too.  My brisket was a relatively small one (just under 8 pounds) so with my 6 pound chicken I was sitting at 14 pounds.    I included a lemon, a lime and some fresh rosemary in the cavity and spiced with dried rosemary, "chicken rub", hickory rub and some thyme and pepper.  I modestly say my bird kicked tail per usual when cooked this way and the flavor was not at all overwhelmed by the red oak, despite a 3-4 hour cooking time. The meat was basically fall-off-the-bone juicy.  Mmmm....

--Jonny Rotisserie
JonnyRotisserie
Chief Kangaroo, Auspit North America
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 02:43:03 PM »

Here are a couple pics of the brisket showing the juicy side and the tough side.
Paul B

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 06:09:25 PM »

I'd eat either one Grin Grin.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
Nuetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 02:52:52 PM »

I to would appear to me that the side on left got alot more heat and smoke than the side on the right  just my thought wraping them is  a good bad idea thou
KnucklHed BBQ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 02:07:27 PM »

Looks good!  Not bad at all for a first try!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: